Topical retinoids are still considered as the gold standard of ingredients for antiageing. It is one of the superheroes of the skin with the ability to repair skin damage, help treat acne, improve skin texture and reduce pigmentation. They are Vitamin A derivatives including Retinol, Tretinoin, Retinly Ester, and Isotretinoin which vary in strength.
What are the Benefits of Retinol?
- Prevents the breakdown of collagen and helps build new to keep skin firm
- Stimulates and Increases skin cell turnover which slows down with age
- It destroys free radicals before they can cause wrinkles
- Increases epidermal thickness
- Improve fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation
- Improves skin texture and overall skin health
- Speeds up the skin’s natural exfoliating process to keep it smoother and brighter.
Tips when using Retinoids
- Use a gentle cleanser and do not to use any toner or scrub.
- Dry the skin thoroughly before applying the Retinoid.
- Start low and go slow – use the lowest tolerated strength and start off slowly to build tolerance,one can start with using twice a week
- As Retinoids make the skin more sensitive to the sun , they are best used at night.
- It is important to apply a good quality, broad-spectrum sunblock every morning.
Beginners: Neostrata Renewal Cream
Sensitive: Dermaceutic Activ Retinol Serum 0,5%
Mature Skin: Neostrata Skin Active Retinol Repair Complex
Acne prone: SkinCeuticals Retinol 0,5
Pigmentation: Neoretin Gel Cream
Dark Circles: Neostrata Comprehensive Retinol Eye Cream